Calvin Driving School
Call Orlando
0448 037 015

Overseas Drivers Licence

So you have just arrived in Melbourne and want to drive in Melbourne? The requirement to change your overseas driver licence to a Victorian driver licence is dependent on your visa status:

Temporary Visa

If you are in Melbourne on a temporary visa then you can drive on your overseas driver licence for as long as it is current. However, it is essential that your overseas licence is in English or accompanied by an English translation or International Driving Permit. An International Driving Permit is acceptable as a translation of a driver licence.

Permanent Visa

To continue driving after the completion of this 6 month period you MUST acquire a Victorian driver license. If your licence is in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by an English translation.Only translations completed by any of the following is accepted by VicRoads:

To acquire a Victorian full driver licence


To acquire a Victorian probationary driver licence


To acquire a Victorian Learner Permit



VicRoads recognises the drivers licence from the following countries.If you hold a driver licence from any of these countries, then you are not required to undertake any tests provided your overseas licence is current or not expired by more than five years. However, you still need to make an appointment to changeover your licence if you are from a recognised country.The drivers licenses of the following countries are recognized:

Austria, Belgium, Isle of Man, Netherlands (Holland), Sweden, Finland, France, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Canada , Germany, Japan, Portugal, UK, Croatia, Greece, Luxembourg, Singapore, USA, Denmark, Ireland, Malta, Spain, Guernsey, Jersey.

Contact Orlando Call/SMS: 0448 037 015 or EMail: